httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dragon <dra...@crimson-dragon.com>
Subject [users@httpd] A reverse proxy question
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 19:29:05 GMT
Before asking my question, I need to explain a little about what I am
trying to do.

I have a reverse proxy set up in Apache 2.0.54 using the instructions
detailed in http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

It works great for the most part but I have one little thing that
causes me some problems in the Rails application I am proxying. The
problem revolves around some internal redirects the application does
that I am currently "fixing" by hard coding the URL as seen from the
outside world into the application where it does these page
redirects. This is not an ideal solution as it breaks things if I
access the application directly instead of through the proxy.

What I want to be able to do is to inform the application that it is
being accessed through the proxy so it can programmatically determine
the correct redirect URL regardless of how it is being accessed.
Essentially what I want to do is somehow pass the actual request URL
through the proxy to the application so it can dynamically fix the
URL to access the correct page.

So my question is this, is there some (easy?) way through either HTTP
headers or some other mechanism that I can inform the application
that it is being accessed through the proxy?

Dragon