httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nilesh Bansal" <nileshban...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Debugging mod_proxy for performance
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:08:47 GMT
Hi Alexey,

Thanks for your response. Yes I know there is someting wrong, and I
need to find out what. I have tried both v2.2.3 and 2.2.4 of httpd.
All options in config file were left to their default values, and I
have only added two virtual hosts and few mod_proxy rules. We are
running httpd on a machine with 4 AMD Opetran processors and 8GB RAM
running RHEL 4. Any pointers to help me debug will be very helpful.

thanks
Nilesh

On 4/8/07, Alexey Polyakov <alexey.polyakov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/8/07, Nilesh Bansal <nileshbansal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We have a Apache httpd running with mod_proxy in front of a Tomcat
> > server. We have noticed that httpd is slower than expected. After
> > enabling logging of time-to-serve in both Tomcat and httpd, it turns
> > out that while Tomcat can serve each request in less than a second,
> > httpd in many cases takes 3-5 seconds (i.e., adding a delay of 3-4
> > seconds).
>
> 3-4 seconds? Looks like there's something terribly wrong with your
> config, like resolve hostnames turned on in Apache config. mod_proxy
> shouldn't add more than 200-300 microseconds for such small requests
> on modern hardware.
>
> --
> Alexey Polyakov

Nilesh Bansal.