httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] url rewrite to fix ssl issue with aliased domain name
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:32:37 GMT
On 4/12/07, Jeffrey Williams <jeff@sailorfej.net> wrote:
> my dns is set up with my domain name cnamed to my webserver e.g.
>
> mydomain.com IN CNAME www.myname.com
>
> my server is also running a wildcard cert for my domain.
>
> Now when people come to the site by following a link for
> www.mydomain.com, or type www.mydomain.com in the address bar, all is
> good with the world.
>
> However if they follow link for mydomain.com, or type mydomain.com, they
> get a certname does not match hostname error. (apparently wildcard certs
> don't work for domain names without a subdomain or hostname prepended)
>
> Anyway I have tried to use rewrite rules to fix this following are the
> two forms I tried:

I don't think this is really possible, because the redirect won't
happen until after the SSL negotiation (and certificate warning). If
you accept the certificate, are you seeing the redirection happen? If
not, you should also check to make sure the RewriteRules are inside
the relevant <VirtualHost>s or that you have RewriteOptions inherit
and RerwiteEngine On in the <VirtualHost>s.

Joshua.