httpd-users mailing list archives

From Cary Conover <cary.cono...@us.lawson.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache crashing on windows server 2003
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:36:24 GMT

This is from My Blackberry.

----- Original Message -----
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." [wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: 04/03/2007 03:03 PM EST
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] apache crashing on windows server 2003

Eben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running apache 2.0.57 on windows server 2003.  I have php 4.4.2
> setup as a module and mod_rewrite enabled.

I hope not - 2.0.57 was never released.  Went from .56 to .59

> I am seeing this error report in the Event Viewer for each time it crashes:
> Faulting application Apache.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module
> unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000
>
> And in apache's error log at the corresponding times:
> [Tue Apr 03 08:19:54 2007] [info] master_main: Child processed exited
> prematurely. Restarting the child process.
> [Tue Apr 03 08:19:54 2007] [info] Parent: Created child process 5092
> [Tue Apr 03 08:19:54 2007] [info] Parent: Duplicating socket 464 and
> sending it to child process 5092
> [Tue Apr 03 08:19:54 2007] [info] BytesRead = 372 WSAProtocolInfo = 2006620
>
> My suspicion is that it has something to do with the web app that is
> running, and specific usage.  My question is, as someone who is more
> used to operating in unix environments, how else can I debug this, what
> other tools or techniques are available for windows that might help me
> to track down what is causing these crashes/restarts?

That's the fun question to answer.  Unpack the -symbols.zip of the EXACT
apache server version you are using.

Now, drwtsn32.exe can give you something legible about what crashed where.
There are a few notes here

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/#source
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#backtrace-win

You can ignore the comments about forcing a backtrace - because you are
looking at letting the server simply crash.

Without knowing what the backtrace looks like, it's hard to tell what
module caused the exception (it will always 'say' apache.exe caused
the fault, because that is the program running), and in what context
(which is why the full backtrace is so interesting.)