httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] IP address discimination
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:41:10 GMT

OK.

> ..
> NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443
> NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.5:443

If you're planning to put SSL VHs on ports 443, this won't work as you
expect... Name-based VHs aren't supported by HTTP (see FAQa for
details).

> > Couple of other points...
> > - Why use ServerAlias instead of ServerName? Maybe it
> works, but then I
> > guess you could drive a car by operating the clutch with your right
> > foot, too.
> >
> So I changed httpd.conf to read as follows, and the
> "overlapping" error
> went away:
>
> <VirtualHost *>
> ServerName example1.com
> Redirect permanent / http://www.example1.com/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *>
> ServerName example2.com
> Redirect permanent / http://www.example2.com/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> But using http://example1.com in a browser didn't do the redirect.
> Is this what you meant? Thanks for the help so far.

For sanity's sake, I always use *exactly* the same string in a VH
argument as I use in the accompanying NameVirtualHost directive. So try:
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80> instead of wildcard.

Generally, if a VH is not "working" it's usually because the request is
being assigned to another VH - either earlier in the config or a more
specific match. Re-check all your VH definitions and look out for
conflicts and overlaps.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> --