httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Browser sends complete URL before SSL ?
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 06:11:50 GMT

No - this does not happen.

> ..or connects to example.com encrypts the channel and
> then sends the
> remaining /somedir/file.html ?

Yes - sort of... The HTTPS layer is like a wrapper around the HTTP protocol. The SSL session
is established using only the TCP/IP attributes of the request (ie, IP address and port).
Once the encrypted channel is open, the HTTP frame (containing the hostname, URL, cookies,
etc.) is sent. So all client data is encrypted.

BTW, this is exactly the reason that name-based VHs can't work under SSL.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> If it sends in plaintext I
> have to rewrite