httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Running one website via two apache running boxes (windows)
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2007 06:32:58 GMT

On Apr 28, 2007, at 7:18 PM, hydn79 wrote:

> I've mirrored the htdocs to the 2nd server. And they file sync
> every 15 mins.
>
> Problem:
> server 1 is www.mysite.com with ip 123.123.123.1
> server 2 is simply a different ip eg 123.123.123.2
>
> What is the best method to share the load across the two apache
> servers?

Two main approaches:

1) Use round robin DNS to alternately have www.mysite.com resolve to
    either of your IP addresses
2) Put a load balancer box in front of your servers

Option 1 is very easy to implement: just put a second A record for
your site in the dns zone configuration.  If you're using bind (which
most people do), it'll resolve to both in rotation, sending roughly
half your users to either server

Option 2 will cost you an extra box, and introduce a new single point
of failure.

If you're on Windows Server, you could use NLB

> I notice in the apache console there's a button "Connect" where you
> can
> "connect to a remote server". Can that be used to access the htdocs on
> Server 1 by apache web service on server 2?

I'm not familiar with an Apache Console.  Perhaps you are using an
administration console someone else wrote?

> Or even better, suggest the best way to lower some of the load on
> my web
> server as the 2nd box (mysql server) is almost idle. I've install
> apache on
> it but don't know how to connect the two.

Same as above, assuming the MySQL box can see the net.

Alternatively, you may choose to split up your site and have certain
portions handled by the MySQL box. For instance, use mod_proxy to
send part of your traffic to the back-end, and/or running your
application server there.

S.

--
Sander Temme