httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brent Harsh <dbhpub...@nc.rr.com>
Subject [users@httpd] FollowSymLinks - anything which could globally block this?
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 03:19:22 GMT
I'm configuring Apache (2.0.52 as it came with RedHat EL distribution
and am always seeing 403 denied when trying to download a file via a
symlink.

I have the FollowSymLink directive present in the httpd.conf <Directory>
  section for my docroot directory, as well as in the <Directory />
section.  I know that at least some changes to the config file are
working: I've toggled the Indexes option on and off and see the expected
behavior.  I've also tried enabling this via .htaccess files by allowing
Options overrides and building .htaccess files in the directory.  Again,
similar behavior:  changing the Indexes setting in the local file
results in file listings displayed or denied, but changing
FollowSymLinks has absolutely no effect.

Is there a global "security" setting that I'm missing somewhere? One
clue which makes me ask this is that an identical Apache configuration
seems to work fine on 2.0.54 under FC4.  Google shows lots of basic
references to the Option in the httpd.conf, but I have pretty much
convinced myself I have it set up correctly.  I also searched the mail
archives and haven't seen "sym" discussed in the titles of any of the
archives over the past year (BTW, is all of March 2007 missing?), so
clearly I'm the only one confused out here.  Hate to ask, but I'm not
finding anything in my searches.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or tips,

Brent