httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Steel <john.st...@phonewebcam.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Setting up a staging server with apache
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:04:00 GMT
I'm new to PHP but not J2EE. In J2EE you can set the container to
resolve separate apps based off their hostname as long as you set them
up as web-apps in the config.
So for example, you can on a single PC visit
http://localhost:8080/www.example1.com and
http://localhost:8080/www.example2.com. What you are really doing is
just qualifying 1 host having multiple web-apps. Its useful because you
can expose this PC to the web as a staging server, and outside users can
see them by using URL's like
http://staging.example.com:8080/www.example1.com and
http://staging.example.com:8080/www.example2.com. This is all handled
entirely by the J2EE server. When you want to populate production
machines you copy the staging content to live, where the real URL is
mapped appropriately.

I am trying to reproduce this setup for PHP development which will
manage separate hosts running separate apps (Drupal, MediaWiki, etc).
If I try to use Apache VirtualHosts I get stuck - I know I could set up
www.example1.com and www.example2.com as separate entries but that means
messing externally with with the IP addresses/hostnames. Is this
possible with a rewrite rule? I.e., if you see
http://localhost:8010/{$hostname} you really mean ServerName={$hostname}
in httpd.conf?
Any smarter solutions very welcome, thanks.