httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rick Lloyd <ri...@ll.mit.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] problem displaying applet
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:58:59 GMT
Hello,

I'm having a problem displaying a very simple applet.

System Info:

httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin)
Server built:   Mar 20 2005 15:08:27

MacOSX 10.4.9

Firefox 2.0.0.3
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3)
Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3

The problem also appears using the Safari browser that ships with OSX.

Symptom:

Very simple applet, SimpleApplet.class from SimpleApplet.java (attached)
called from SimpleApplet.html (attached).

On my local machine, which is running httpd-1.3.33, hitting the URL
http://mymachine.fully.qualified.address/~rickl/SimpleApplet.html fails
to load.  I get a diagnostic that reads:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: SimpleApplet.class
    several lines of detail
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassLoader.java:271)
    more lines of detail.

However, when I hit the URL http://localhost/~rickl/SimpleApplet.html
everything works fine.
Also, if I hit the fully qualified  address from any other machine, the
applet works fine.

This behavior only happens in a browser running on the machine that is
hosting the page/applet.

Any thoughts?
Rick