httpd-users mailing list archives

From DJ Lucas ...@lucasit.com>
Subject [users@httpd] hide alternate service ports using mod_proxy
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:13:16 GMT
Hmm...gmane is really taking it's time or just doesn't like me. :-)  My
apologies in advance if this message comes twice.

Currently I have 4 separate services running for web services on one
machine, Apache-2.2.4, Tomcat-5.5.23, and webmail and webmail admin
(vendor provided). All are using two ports, close in proximity to the
original. My primary goal is to remove the port numbers from the URLs,
however, I'd also like to only have open 80 and 443 on the firewall. I
believe this is the correct method, however, the results are not exactly
as expected.

In httpd.conf I have:
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so

<snip>

# Reverse Proxy (hide port number for other web services)
Include conf/extra/httpd-reverse-proxy.conf

I have in conf/extra/httpd-reverse-proxy.conf:
ProxyRequests Off

<Proxy *>
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass /webmail http://www.example.com:81
ProxyPassReverse /webmail http://www.example.com:81

When going to 'http://www.example.com/webmail' I get the text, but not
the pictures.  When I add the trailing slash and it seems to work as
expected.  As it is now, I need only 80/443 open.  However, upon logging
in, I receive a "Not Found" error:
Not Found

The requested URL /webmail.dll was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8e PHP/5.1.6
mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.8 Server at www.example.com Port 80

http or https doesn't make a difference.  The 403 is probably related,
but I am unsure.  Am I going about this in the correct way?  Remember
that this is a separate, vendor supplied httpd of some sort, so
integration into the main webroot is not likely possible.  Of course,
using the www.example.com:81 or 444 works as expected.  If anyone has an
idea, either to fix this or for another solution, It'd be much appreciated.

-- DJ Lucas