httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Neil A. Hillard" <neil.hill...@agustawestland.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htpasswd problems
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:51:05 GMT
Hi,

Jannetta S Steyn wrote:
>> It doesn't matter what gets stored as long as the
>> decrypted value matches the password.
>
> This part of what you said puzzles me. Why would you want to decrypt the password and
> isn't the point of md5 and DES that you don't decrypt the password. Usually the
> passwords are compared in their encrypted form. That's the whole idea of a message
> digest isn't it to get a unique signature for a message and to make it near impossible
> to retrieve the message from the signature again.

You're talking about the differences between hashing and encryption /
decryption.  MD5 is a hashing algorithm, DES is an encryption /
decryption algorithm.  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encryption

HTH,

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    neil.hillard@agustawestland.com
AgustaWestland                  http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
            views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.