httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Steel <john.st...@phonewebcam.com>
Subject [users@httpd] IP address discimination
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:07:24 GMT
I have 2 dedicated Fed linux servers, one running httpd 2.0.51, which
does not show this problem, and the other running 2.0.53 which does.
Both host about 30 domains across 8 IP addresses each. The problem I'm
trying to solve is an automatic redirection of http://example.com to
http://www.example.com.
This is the entry from the offending httpd.conf, (IP's and domains
sanitised):

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
ServerAlias example1.com
Redirect permanent / http://www.example1.com/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
ServerAlias example2.com
Redirect permanent / http://www.example2.com/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.5:80>
ServerAlias example3.com
Redirect permanent / http://www.example3.com/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.5:80>
ServerAlias example4.com
Redirect permanent / http://www.example4.com/
</VirtualHost>

I get the message "[warn] VirtualHost 1.2.3.5:80 overlaps with
VirtualHost 1.2.3.5:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a
NameVirtualHost directive"

I've been using this pattern for a long time, certainly pre apache 2 and
am willing to change if I have to. What I can't understand is why the
message doesn't come up for 1.2.3.4, which is an identical
configuration! In fact, if I make all the entries 1.2.3.4 the message
also goes away. I can't say why this doesn't happen with the 2.0.51
server which uses the same practice, it could either be the httpd
version or the IP addresses it uses are all ok.

It all points to the IP address itself somehow being treat differently,
and as the founding member of the "IP address equality for all"
resistance movement I say thats not fair!

Thanks