httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Williams <j...@sailorfej.net>
Subject [users@httpd] url rewrite to fix ssl issue with aliased domain name
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:15:59 GMT
my dns is set up with my domain name cnamed to my webserver e.g.

mydomain.com IN CNAME www.myname.com

my server is also running a wildcard cert for my domain.

Now when people come to the site by following a link for
www.mydomain.com, or type www.mydomain.com in the address bar, all is
good with the world.

However if they follow link for mydomain.com, or type mydomain.com, they
get a certname does not match hostname error. (apparently wildcard certs
don't work for domain names without a subdomain or hostname prepended)

Anyway I have tried to use rewrite rules to fix this following are the
two forms I tried:

RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "^mydomain\.com" [NC]
RewriteRule "^/(.*)" "http://www.mydomain.com/$1" [R]

and

RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "!^www\.mydomain\.com" [NC]
RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "!^$"
RewriteRule "^/(.*)" "http://www.mydomain.com/$1" [R]

neither seems to work, the address bar still shows mydomain.com without
the www. and the cert warning still shows that the requested hostname as
mydomain.com without the www.

by the way I have about a dozen other rewrite rules all following these
ones that seem to be working ok.

any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, or another way to solve
this problem, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff