httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Keltz <...@cse.yorku.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] strange behaviour of Readme postamble
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:41:47 GMT
Hi.

I'm experiencing some strange behaviour with the Header/Readme
pre/postamble directives on our Apache 2.2.X server.

One of our users was complaining that he had placed two totally text
README files in two separate directories on our server.  When he visited
the first directory in his web browser, he saw the directory contents
followed by his "README" file.  However, when he visited the second
directory, the contents of the README file was not displayed.
File/directory permission was not an issue.  When I looked into the
problem, I found that if a README (or HEADER) file contains html, it
works great.  However, if the file is plain text and does not include
the word "the" that the file would not be displayed.  For example, if I
create a README file containing only the word "the", the file is
displayed when I visit the directory.  However, if I remove any one
letters from "the", the file is not displayed.  This seems really really
weird, and I'm probably missing something very silly here.  It looks
like this is handled by the "emit_tail" function which should display
anything text/*.  The question is, how do I determine what the web
server considers the content as?  Anyone have any experience with this
weird behaviour?

Jas.