httpd-users mailing list archives

From Georgios Pallas <gp...@ccf.auth.gr>
Subject [users@httpd] problem with handler after upgrade from apache to apache2
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:12:18 GMT
Hi to everybody!

The following unwanted feature(?) appeared after I upgraded from
apache to apache2:

In Apache, I had in the configuration the following lines, in order to
create picture thumbnails on-the-fly:

Action thumbnail /cgi-bin/resize.cgi
AddHandler thumbnail .jpgTN

The user hits the url of a jpg image, say: http://myserv/test.jpg and
gets the original image. If the user hits http://myserv/test.jpgTN,
the handler calls the resize.cgi which gets the 'test.jpgTN' (using
$ENV{"PATH_TRANSLATED"}), understands that the thumbnail of test.jpg
is needed, resizes test.jpg and throws it to the browser. Note:
test.jpgTN does not really exist on disk.

That worked in apache, but as soon as I upgraded to apache2, it
stopped working, and after some troubleshooting I realized that it
only works when test.jpgTN exists on the disk (even if it is a
zero-length file created by 'touch test.jpgTN'.

The error.log just prints that file blah-blah.jpgTN does not exist.
That means that the handler is not invoked...

Why? :-(

My set-up is: Debian Etch, Apache/2.2.3. If anybody has heard of that
feature(?)
  or imagines what is wrong, I can send the config files.

And a meta-question because I'm new to the list: how do you send a
config file? Simply paste? Can you send attachments to the list?

Thanks!
Giorgos