httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jannetta S Steyn" <janne...@henning.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htpasswd problems
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:01:42 GMT
Hi there

> You're talking about the differences between hashing and encryption /
> decryption.  MD5 is a hashing algorithm, DES is an encryption /
> decryption algorithm.  See:

True I was confusing the issue here. However, when I wrote the scripts
originally I think only MD5 was used, and the hashes were compared for
authentication. I remember then, looking at the files and even after
re-creating the passwords, the hashes didn't change. Now however, even the
hashes do seem to change. Example and here I am forcing md5:

-bash-3.1$
-bash-3.1$ htpasswd -n -m -b username password
username:$apr1$YxgJg...$CBPoLTrXCOLCn13LDTL8w1

-bash-3.1$ htpasswd -n -m -b username password
username:$apr1$fjhvN/..$a2OsVleb.E8zoEOyfWfuw.

-bash-3.1$ htpasswd -n -m -b username password
username:$apr1$ie9n5/..$yOfvwYlhFXBOicCXuk.DK0

The main issue for me still remains, why do my password file stop working
after a while? Obviously something regarding the way the passwords are
generated and compared changed since I originally wrote the stuff. What
changed? I need to know this to accomodate the changes in my code.

Thanks for all your input
Regards
Jannetta