httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Calculating maximum throughput for an Apache based system
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:11:42 GMT
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:43:35 -0400
> "Wm.A.Stafford" <stafford@marine.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
> > I have been asked to come up with a figure for the number of users
> > per unit time our
> > Apache-based site can support and to indicate the resource; memory,
> > disk space etc,  that
> > would be maxed out when this number of users was reached.
>
> We have some folks who have talked or written about scaling Apache
> to absurd amounts of traffic.  OTTOMH, Colm MacCarthaigh has reported
> over 100,000 concurrent connections to a single server, and Brian Akins
> is another name to google for.  You might like to read what they've
> done to scale it.

That's "Brian Atkins" (just to make the googling a little more fruitful).

But as you seem to partially recognize, this question is
almost-meaningless without discussing a very-specific setup. For
example, Colm hits those numbers for a site that offers large static
files. You'll never approach that for complex php scripts.

So the best advice is not to look for other people's stats, but to
test yourself.  Apache offers a couple tools for this: apachebench and
flood.

Joshua.