httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Serving local static content but proxying all others.
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:40:05 GMT
On 3/20/07, Foster, Stephen (ASPIRE) <steve.foster@hmrcaspire.com> wrote:

> I am happy with the ability to setup mod_proxy but i don't want to maintain a list of
URI's to be proxied in my apache configuration, likewise i don't want to have to re-configure
apache if the developers add new directories or content types to the DocumentRoot directory.
> Is it possible to configure apache to serve content if it exists locally but if not to
proxy it to a proxy server. I am basically trying to make the apache configuration as static
as we possibly can but flexible enought do differentiate between local content and what is
has to proxy.

Yes, you can do this using mod_rewrite.  But it is complicated and
involves checking the local filesystem on every request.

But I would highly recommend just setting aside one directory as being
local and excluding it from the ProxyPass:
ProxyPass /local !
and then proxying everything else.

Alternatively, proxy everything, including the static content, but
make sure it has proper cache-control headers and use mod_disk_cache
on the proxy to eliminate the speed hit.

Joshua.