httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache CPU Core Usage
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:12:08 GMT
On 3/20/07, Graham Frank <gfrank@neoservers.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> OS: CentOS 4.4 x86_64
> CPU: Dual Intel Xeon E5335 (quad-core)
> Kernel: 2.6.20
>
> I've been watching "top" after compiling Apache and in both the worker
> and prefork MPM, I've noticed that Apache likes to use the same CPU
> core a lot more than using all of the cores.  Right now, top reports
> all of the prefork children as mostly using core 2 with a few using
> other cores.  The worker MPM was the same way, tho I can't check how
> the threads were working.
>
> Is there any reason for this, or should I even trust what "top" is
> saying?  Is there any way to get it to start using the other cores (I
> bought these CPU's to utilize the cores, not give them all vacation
> time, heh).

I'm not an expert in this.

But my question would be: do you see any "real" problems?  Just the
fact that apache has affinity for one processor/core should not be an
issue if there is still processing time to spare.  In fact, it is good
to stay with the same processor/core in general for caching issues.

Other than that, it is usually up to the OS to do this kind of
scheduling.  I don't know what tools CentOS has for managing processor
affinity.

Joshua.