httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Memory problems from browser point of view
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:32:07 GMT
On 3/15/07, jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Hello;
> I have not had experience with this in the past
> but I am doing a large project in php and I
> need to know what Apache sends the browser
> when it is having memory problems.

If you have MaxClients tuned correctly (that is, low enough that
apache processes never wind up in swap space), then when you are low
on memory apache will hit MaxClients and further clients will simply
not be able to connect until a process is available to serve them.

If MaxClients is not tuned correctly, then apache will start trying to
use swap space and responses will become slower and slower until the
server essentially looks dead.