httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 utilize more physical memory than apache 1.3
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 14:29:51 GMT
On 3/1/07, arun kumar <arun.apache@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No i am  not measuring memory per process and i am adding all the RSS of the
> httpd process of particular apache instance to find total memory usage every
> one sec.
>
> In  prefork(No of process will be more than worker) also i am using the same
> process  and i am adding all the RSS of the httpd process of the particular
> apache instance  to find total physical memory usage every one sec
>
> Anyway physical memory in worker should be less the prefork right?

This conversation isn't going anywhere -- we are obviously talking
past each other.  But I am still strongly of the opinion that you are
not interpreting your ps out correctly given the difference between a
multi-threaded model and a multi-process model.

As I said many messages ago, an easy way to avoid the whole problem is
to just measure total FREE memory on the system in the two different
configurations.  A utility like "top" is good for this.

Joshua.