httpd-users mailing list archives

From Josh.Wy...@hcssystems.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Examples Extreme Web Servers
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 01:18:01 GMT

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, linux guru wrote:

> Does anybody host about 2000-2500 virtual sites in single server?
>
> Which version of Apache do you prefer 2.0 or 2.2 for hosting thousands of
> websites?
>
> Do you have examples or some experiment about the httpd.conf for this kind
> of servers?
>
> Have you ever noticed an error like this below;
>
> apachectl stop, OK
> apachectl start, No responce. FAIL

You're probably hitting some resource limit.

Look within apachectl for the line which invokes httpd.

Figure out the variables and try to start it with the "broken" config it
from the command line with
'strace -f', like this:

cd $APACHE_ROOT/bin # or wherever your httpd is

strace -f ./httpd -k start  # this is my server's config

...and at the end, check the return code:
echo $?

and post the last 20 lines or so to the list.  Might help to capture all
that to a file with either output redirection or 'script.'

Thanks,
Josh