httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] RE: Apache CPU Utilization peaks to 100%
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 06:27:43 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sachin123 [mailto:sachin.tandon@cognizant.com] 
> Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 6:55 AM
> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> Subject: [users@httpd] RE: Apache CPU Utilization peaks to 100%
> 
> 
> We are running Apache HTTP Server on a Windows XP machine 
> with 2.79GHZ and 1
> GB RAM ,

So that's a fairly decent desktop PC. It's not exactly an enterprise
level webserver, however.

> Weblogic 9.2 is running on another machine with the same
> configuration as Apache HTTP Server machine and on a third 
> machine which is
> a 2 CPU,2.79 GHZ and 4 GB RAM machine we have Oracle 10g running 
> 
> We are doing a load test with 20 concurrent users .We see the 
> access.log and
> apache is processing g around 140 HTTP Requests ( GET + Post) 
> through and
> forwarding to the Application Server .
> 
> We see that Apache is peaking to 100% where as the 
> Application Server and
> the DB Server remain underutilzed .

That would imply that the webserver is the bottleneck - but what is the
rate in the backend? It is also getting 140 req/sec or is it less? If
less, is there a queue building up at the webserver (ie, are some
clients hanging/timing out)?

> 
> The Application is using JDK 1.5 and Spring Framework is being used .
> The Application does to have complex business logic and POJO 
> classess are
> being used in all the layer 
> Presentation Layer,Business Logic Layer and the DAO Layer.
> 
> The Thread Count We see for Apache is 254
> 
> Why Apache peaks upto 100% ?
> 1. Is it becuase 140 requests per second it processing is too high 

It would seem so.. BTW, it's not the *number* of requests per second,
it's the resources each request demands that counts. If each request
launches an intensive computation then even a low rate could swamp a
server.

> 2. Some Configuration settings need to be changed ?

Check out http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html. Note
especially the first note: "The single biggest hardware issue affecting
webserver performance is RAM" - 1GB doesn't sound like an awful lot
these days...

Bear in mind that the problem is n't really the webserver - it just
receives requests and translates them into tasks for the OS. If the task
is simple (eg, fetch a static file) then the performance will be good.
If the task is complex (look up a DB, crunch some data, request
something from another server, process the result, rewrite, faff about,
etc...) then don't expect too much.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle
Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored. 

> 
> Please suggest 
> 
> Thanks
> Sachin
> 
> 
> Boyle Owen wrote:
> > 
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: Sachin123 [mailto:sachin.tandon@cognizant.com] 
> >> Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:04 AM
> >> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> >> Subject: [users@httpd] Apache CPU Utilization peaks to 100%
> >> 
> >> 
> >> Hi 
> >> 
> >> We are doing a load test for 20 concurrent users with 
> >> Apache 2.00.59 on one machine 
> >> Weblogic 9.2 on another machine 
> >> Oracle 10g on the third machine 
> > 
> > - define "machine" (OS, hardware)
> > - webservers don't really have "users", they handle 
> requests. What kind
> > of requests? How frequent? What kind of back-end activity do the
> > requests generate?
> > 
> > Rgds,
> > Owen Boyle
> > Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored. 
> > 
> >> 
> >> The machine in which  Apache HTTP serveris installed  peaks 
> >> upto 100% and
> >> machines in which Weblogic 9.2 and Oracle 10g is installed 
> are under
> >> utilized .
> >> 
> >> Attached is the http.conf which is being used. 
> >> 
> >> Please suggest what configuration changes can be done to 
> improve the
> >> performance 
> >> 
> >> In Apache Rewrite Engine is on to show the user the freindly 
> >> URL's instead
> >> of the actual URL's Will rewrite take this much CPU
> >> http://www.nabble.com/file/7498/httpd.conf httpd.conf 
> >> -- 
> >> View this message in context: 
> >> http://www.nabble.com/Apache-CPU-Utilization-peaks-to-100--tf3
> > 484568.html#a9727551
> >> Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Users mailing list archive 
> >> at Nabble.com.
> >> 
> >> 
> >> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP 
> >> Server Project.
> >> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> >>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> >> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
> >>
> >  
> >  
> > This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
> > confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
> > confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any 
> mistransmission. If
> > you receive this message in error, please notify the sender 
> urgently and
> > then immediately delete the message and any copies of it 
> from your system.
> > Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the 
> message. You must
> > not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, 
> print, or copy any
> > part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. 
> The sender's
> > company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail 
> communications through
> > their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
> > individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the
> > sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's
> > company.
> > 
> > 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP 
> Server Project.
> > See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> >    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
> > 
> > 
> > 
> 
> -- 
> View this message in context: 
> http://www.nabble.com/Apache-CPU-Utilization-peaks-to-100--tf3
484568.html#a9747281
> Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Users mailing list archive 
> at Nabble.com.
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP 
> Server Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>
 
 
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and
then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately
destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their
networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where
the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of
the sender's company.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message