httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Vincent Bray" <nood...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite: time of last modification?
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:06:29 GMT
On 13/03/07, rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to use the file's modification
> time (mtime) as a rewrite condition? For example, this is a howto
> snippet presented at
> <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/rewrite_guide_advanced.html>:
>
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}   !-s
> RewriteRule ^page\.html$          page.cgi   [T=application/x-httpd-cgi,L]
>
> Here a request to page.html leads to a internal run of a corresponding
> page.cgi if page.html is still missing or has filesize null.
>

> I'm no Unix guru, but is it true that stat() has already been done on
> page.cgi to determine its size with -s? Then I'm guessing it would be
> pretty trivial to use or implement the mtime along the same lines (like
> "if file on disk is older than 30 minutes, then make this a CGI request
> transparently"). This would be plain awesome!
>
> Thanks in advance.

That sounds like it could be pretty neat. On the other hand using http
caching you can achieve almost the same effect. Make your script issue
a ttl (Expires: header) and then stick mod_cache in front of it. The
only difference I guess is the first request.

See here for the most pimped caching docs on the internets:
http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/

--
noodl