httpd-users mailing list archives

From Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Stripping white space from HTML
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:30:40 GMT
> As I understand it, the reason why you wish the whitespace to be reduced
> is so you look at the source within your browser, and that you plan to
> use mod_deflate later ro reduce bandwidth (which is surely not too much
> of a problem - it's probably equivalent to resampling a few of your
> images by 5% here and there, or optimising your caching!), but you can't
> reduce the whitespace inside your application logic (which is where the
> problem should be fixed) because you don't have control over the code.
>
> You have 3 (1,2,4) really good (performance neutral) options not
> mentioned so far,
> 1) use a whitespace stripping http proxy you run on your LAN
> 2) use mod security, removewhitespace in response body
> 3) use a rewrite rule to a reg exp based whitespace server-side script
> which serves each page of your application.
> 4) similar to (3) use an autoprepend rule to serve your white space
> laden pages through a reg exp based whitespace stripping script.
>
> I would probably go for 1,3 or 4, because they are so easy.
>
> (2) carries a performance hit, but use of mod security is highly
> regarded and I would say is an esssential part of protecting an
> application such as yours - one for which you do not own and cannot
> change the code.

Thanks Matt.  3 and 4 sound interesting.  How could I configure
something like that considering my <Location /> block:

<Location />
       SetHandler perl-script
       PerlResponseHandler Interchange::Link
       PerlOptions +GlobalRequest
       PerlSetVar InterchangeServer /path/to/socket
</Location>

mod_security also sounds interesting.  It's pretty tricky to set up though?

- Grant