httpd-users mailing list archives

From Israel Brewster <isr...@frontierflying.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite problem
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:30:59 GMT
On Mar 8, 2007, at 8:33 AM, matt farey wrote:

> yeah, if you compare the number and type of rewrites for this package
> with the way that wordpress used to operate, there is a lot of
> correlation, instead now wordpress uses a much simpler form of rewrite
> which directs the REQUEST_URI to the application for subsequent
> alteration, as is the case with your serendipity app. My idea would be
> to handle all the serendipity rules with the app, leaving a much
> smaller
> set of rules which would happily coexist and be easy to modify. I know
> you say you aren't a php developer, but it wouldn't be that hard to
> locate and alter the script, perhaps though it would be difficult to
> subsequently update Serendipity and you would feel this would be a
> step
> too far. my $0.02 - when wordpress changed their rewrite rules from 2k
> down to  4 lines it was great!

Actually, after the behavior I've been seeing while trying to work
out this issue, I think the serendipity application may already work
this way, in spite of the fact that it writes out that long list of
rules. If I am understanding what is going on properly, then as long
as the REQUEST_URI typed into the address bar is one that serendipity
understands (i.e. /categories/8-Nagios) then it doesn't really matter
what it is rewritten to, as long as the rewrite calls index.php? So,
in theory at least, I should be able to replace all those rewrites
with a blanket rewrite whatever to index.php?url=, and it should
still work.  Of course, I would need to have exceptions for the
things I DON'T want handled my the serendipity php script, but that
shouldn't be too difficult. I'll have to experiment with that some.

> --
> Matthew Farey

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician