httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite nocase loop problem
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:36:56 GMT
On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:49:20 -0500
"N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org> wrote:

>     http://example.org/bar/
>     http://example.org/Bar/
>     http://example.org/bAr/
>
> Would all go back to the original URL. Using mod_rewrite, I tried
> applying the following rule:
>
>     RewriteRule ^/bar/$ /BAR/ [R=301,L,nocase]
>
> But that creates a redirect loop that the browser barfs on.

Not if you put it behind a case-sensitive rewritecond.

> I sort of see why the loop is happening, but it is my understanding
> that the L flag would cause it to stop.

The [L] is working fine.  Your rule is applied correctly,
exactly once per request.

Glad to see you're implementing a cache-friendlier solution
than mod_speling or a simple AliasMatch.  But it still raises
the question: why are requests for incorrectly capitalised URLs
coming in the first place?

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/