httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 utilize more physical memory than apache 1.3
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 01:31:19 GMT
On 2/28/07, arun kumar <arun.apache@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using the below command to monitor the physical memory.
>
> ps -e -o pcpu,vsz,rss,pid,args |grep -v grep | grep "apacheprojectname"
>
> Below is the sample output for the worker module
>
>  0.0 34608 32744 25609
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/bin/httpd -f
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/co
>  0.0 4968 2648 25610
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/bin/httpd -f
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/co
>  0.1 35656 4440 26107
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/bin/httpd -f
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/co
>
> In this output third column is physical memory usage(RSS) . i am adding all
> RSS of the httpd process to find the total physical memory usage of httpd
> process every time.
>
> Any thing wrong in the process of monitoring??

There are many different version of ps on many different operating
systems and we have no details about what you are using.

But it looks to me like you are measuring the memory usage per
process.  But with the worker mpm, many different worker threads will
be sharing the same process.  So one process in the worker mpm is
equivalent to many processes in the prefork mpm or in apache 1.3.