httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 utilize more physical memory than apache 1.3
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:11:00 GMT
On 2/27/07, arun kumar <arun.apache@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are using solaris 8  and i compiled the apache 2.2 using the below option
>
> ./configure --prefix=/local/apache/aws --enable-ssl --enable-proxy
> --enable-proxy-connect --enable-proxy-http --enable-cache
> --enable-disk-cache --enable-mods-shared=all --with-mpm=worker .
>
> I disable the deflate and cache module also but there is no major difference
> in physical memory usage.
>
> Memore utilization is nearly 500% difference in apache 2.2 compare to 1.3.
>
> Finally i compiled apache 2.2 with prefork module and found that the
> physical memory usage is less than apache 1.3
>
> Please let me know why worker module is taking more memory(i reduce
> startserver,maxclient ,threadperchild but no use.

You probably aren't measuring memory usage correctly.

With the worker mpm, many threads are running in the same process.
But whatever tool you are using to display memory usage is probably
showing for each thread the total memory usage for the process.

Try just comparing the available free physical RAM after launching 1.3
versus 2.2 with similar settings.

Joshua.