httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Invalid Requests in Apache 1.3.28
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:30:10 GMT
On 2/20/07, Srikanth S <srikanth.srinivasamurthy@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When we run the command
>
> ps -ef|grep httpd|wc -l  it will give how many HTTPD processes are
> running in that machine.
>
> Our web server starts with minimum 1 HTTPD processes only. We have got
> HARD LIMIT set to 512 and often when such below mentioned requests
> comes to web server, web server HTTPD processes will reach 512 very
> quickly and block the further requests.
>
> As these requests are not getting forwarded to application layer and
> not creating any page views, don't you think that we should stop such
> requests
>
> Or there are any way to find out why HTTPD processes are incrasing so
> much and how to avoid web server creating bottleneck for such requests

You need to start by figuring out where these requests are coming
from.  Is this a denial-of-service attack?  Is it a broken client
someplace streaming garbage at your server?  Is it something else?

The fact that simple requests like this are associated with your
server reaching its MaxClients setting is rather suspicious.  You
should use mod_status's server-status handler to track down what
exactly is going on on your server at these times.

If you can define what exactly you mean by "invalid request" (ie, what
are the exact characteristics of the request that make it invalid to
you) then you can probably deny them at the server.  But this may or
may not help with your load problem, depending on what exactly is
generating this stuff.

Joshua.