httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ETags not included in Response-Headers:
Date Sun, 18 Feb 2007 01:08:12 GMT
On 2/17/07, Tim Philips <timp@rndgroup.co.nz> wrote:

> My research has indicated that once FileETag is enabled it should
> automagically generate the ETAG based on the specified criteria and be
> visible in the Response-Headers so either I have totally missed the boat
> or my understanding of its usage is incorrect.

In fact, FileETag is not necessary unless you want to restrict the
data used to calculate an etag.  Etags are generated automatically and
by default.

So why aren't you seeing them?  Etags will only be generated by apache
for content served by the default handler that is not modified by
filters (such as mod_include).  So it will only work for static files,
and only if they aren't processed by other filters.

(It is, of course, possible to have etags for dynamically generated
content.  But it is the responsibility of the content generator to
prepare them in that case.  It can't be done automatically.)

Joshua.