httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Urijah Kaplan" <uri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: apache/linux newbie has Test Page that won't die
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:56:00 GMT
That worked! I restarted (I didn't know I had to do that--when am I
supposed to restart?) and the folder from /home/<my name>/public_html
popped up. Seizing the opportunity, I put in my website there
(changing the default.htm to index.html) and it worked! So, this
experience leaves me with a few questions

1.When should I know to restart the server?
2. Why aren't the pages being served from /var/www/html/ like the
DocumentRoot says? Is there another configuration file that's
overriding it somewhere?
3) Why can't I use default.htm (not a big deal obviously)
4) Since I clearly don't know what I'm doing, what would be a good
resource/book to use to teach me more about Apache/Linux?

Thank you so much to everyone that helped!

           --Urijah Kaplan