httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Lavi" <ml...@sgi.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] how to set up virtual hosts
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:43:34 GMT
Your question about DNS is completely out of scope for this list!

Find out who maintains DNS for your domain and work with them.

If you don't know what that means, then start to ask and work with your
domain registrar and work your way to a responsible party or service
provider for DNS (nameserver) configuration.

--Mark

Mark Lavi, Enterprise Web Management Team @ SGI
mailto:mlavi@sgi.com || phone:+1-650-933-7707
________________________________

From: Beraru Liviu [mailto:liviubero@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 1:36 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] how to set up virtual hosts

"configure DNS to map the desired hostname to the IP address for your
server"

Thanks, but how do I do this?

Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

	On 2/1/07, Beraru Liviu wrote:
	> Hy!
	> I am new in Apache and I used it until now only for testing
PHP and MySQL.
	> I have now to host some web sites but I don't know how.
	> I searched for tutorials on the web, in the apache mailing
lists, in the
	> Apache documentation and also in the FAQ but I couldn't find
an answer to a
	> few questions.
	> I mention that I haven't done any experiments in order to
"lunch" my
	> websites because I don't want to ruin the computers I use...
	>
	> How do I find a A to Z websiteshosting tutorial?
	>
	> I know that I have to change the vhosts.conf file, but... more
than this ...
	> I know nothing.
	>
	> How exactly to I get my websites on the net?
	>
	> Just create folders and declare them in the vhosts file?
	>
	> What's the importance of the .com, .de, .net, .it, .ro and so
on
	> terminations?
	> Should I just create a folder named www.website.com and that's
it?

	The apache virtual host documentation is a good place to start:
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html

	But it sounds like you might need something a little more basic.
In
	particular, before you even start configuring apache, you need
	configure DNS to map the desired hostname to the IP address for
your
	server. This is out of scope for this list in general,
especially
	since it is impossible to tell exactly what point you are
starting
	from. Your ISP would probably be a good source of help for this
	question, or maybe something like:
	http://www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm

	Once you get the DNS mapped correctly, you need to configure
apache.
	If you find the apache docs too dense, a quick google will turn
up
	dozens of tutorials:
	http://www.google.com/search?q=virtual+hosts+apache
	Just be sure to check what they say against the official docs,
since
	the quality of the tutorials can vary widely.

	Joshua.