httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krist van Besien" <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how to replace tilde with slash when users' home dirs are different?
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:59:09 GMT
On 2/14/07, ccyen <ccyen@ascc.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
>      I want to replace the tilde symbol with slash in the URL,
> And I know that I could add this setting
>
> "AliasMatch ^/([^/]*)/?(.*) /home/$1/public_html/$2"
>
> when all users' root directory are the same.
>

> Now it's the problem...
>
>      There are more than 5000  users in my server,
> in order to avoid that all users' dirs stored in one root directory,
> their root home directories are separated to 4 parts:
> user1,user2,user3 and user4
>
> So,the user's home directory is "/user[1or2or3or4]/USERNAME/public_html/"
>
> Now I can't find any solution with "rewrite setting" to solve my problem.

The way I would solve this is have the users spread over more than
four dirs, like this:

/users/a/
/users/b/
and so on, al the way to z.

Than have all your users whose username starts with a in /users/a/ and
so on. So ccyen would have hist homedir in /users/c/ccyen.

You can than use an AliasMatch like this:

 "AliasMatch ^/([^/])([^/]*)/(.*) /users/$1/$1$2/public_html/$3"

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland