httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess LogOn Oddity
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:35:21 GMT
On 1/29/07, Bob Cohen <bob@mojotools.com> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> >> From the 1.3 FAQ, but applies to all versions:
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html#prompted-twice
>
> Thank you very much Joshua! Three remedies are suggested:
>
> 1. Always use the trailing slash when requesting directories;
> 2. Change the ServerName to match the name you are using in the URL;
> and/or
> 3. Set UseCanonicalName off.
>
> I already verified that the trailing slash works. Which is is the
> "best practices" solution?

I would recommend doing this:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Recipes/CanonicalHostNames
which assures that you are redirected to the canonical name before any
authentication happens.  But if you are looking for an easy solution,
3 works just fine (and is the default in all recent versions of
apache).

Joshua.