httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Roger Hendrix at Baldor-IS" <RHend...@baldor.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Verisign signatures with Apache server
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:54:19 GMT
Nancy:

You need to go the Verisign web site, find the pages that define the types of certificates,
decide which type you want to use, then follow the instructions for generating the certificate
files.

On completing this process you should have three (3) files like the following example:

    (name).crt    => certificate file
    (name).key  => key file
    (name).csr   => certificate chain file

    (name)  is a name of you choosing that matches the URL that apache server is serving.

You will need to move these files to a folder on the computer on which the Apache server is
running.

You will then need to modify the apache configuration file containing the virtual host definition
to contain the following entries:

    SSLEngine On
    SSLProtocol All
    SSLCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM

    SSLCertificateFile            (folder location)/(name).crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile      (folder location)/(name).key
    SSLCertificateChainFile   (folder location)/(name).csr

The final step will be to restart the apache server.

Good Luck.

Roger Hendrix
Information Services
Baldor Electric Co.