httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to force a core dump on Linux
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 07:35:34 GMT

On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:34 PM, Sai Jai Ganesh Gurubaran wrote:

> We are getting frequent Apache (59) outages at our installation.
>
> Apache is compiled in as worker module, forward proxy on RHEL 3
>
> I would like to core dump Apache when such a outage occurs.
>
> Can any one tell me how to force Apache to core dump?

1) The shell that starts httpd needs to have ulimit -c set

2) Set the CoreDumpDirectory directive in httpd.conf to point to a
    directory where httpd child processes can write (needs to be
    writable by the username set in your User directive

3) After starting your server with the above in place, attach to your
    problem child process with gdb and use the bt command

S.