httpd-users mailing list archives

From cr...@animalhead.com
Subject [users@httpd] Problem building Apache 2.2.4 (may involve mod_ssl)
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:34:54 GMT
I have a problem with building Apache2, which may involve openSSL.
My server has OpenSSL/0.9.7e-p1, and I'm trying to upgrade Apache2
from 2.2.3 to 2.2.4.

My Apache2 configuration command can be as simple as

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2.2.4 --with-mpm=worker --
enable-ssl --with-ssl=/usr --enable-mods-shared=all

(My openssl executable is /usr/bin/openssl.)

As the configuration script is running, it deals with mod_ssl and
openSSL as indicated by the following output lines:

checking whether to enable mod_ssl... checking dependencies
checking for SSL/TLS toolkit base... /usr
checking for OpenSSL version... checking openssl/opensslv.h
usability... yes
checking openssl/opensslv.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/opensslv.h... yes
checking openssl/ssl.h usability... yes
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
OK
checking openssl/engine.h usability... yes
checking openssl/engine.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/engine.h... yes
gnome-config: not found
checking for SSLeay_version in -lcrypto... yes
checking for SSL_CTX_new in -lssl... yes
checking for ENGINE_init... yes
checking for ENGINE_load_builtin_engines... yes
checking for SSL_set_cert_store... no
   adding "-I/usr/include" to INCLUDES
   adding "-L/usr/lib" to LDFLAGS
   forcing SSL_LIBS to "-lssl -lcrypto"
gnome-config: not found
   forcing MOD_SSL_LDADD to "$(SSL_LIBS)"
checking whether Distcache is required... no (default)
   adding "-export-symbols-regex" to MOD_SSL_LDADD
   adding "ssl_module" to MOD_SSL_LDADD
checking whether to enable mod_ssl... shared (all)
   adding "-I$(top_srcdir)/modules/ssl" to INCLUDES

Note the two lines about not being able to find "gnome-config".

The configure script gives a normal ending.  When I make, the
following error occurs:

Making all in support
/usr/local/apache2/build/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc      -L/usr/
local/lib -L/usr/lib   -o htpasswd  htpasswd.lo   -lm /tmp/
httpd-2.2.4/srclib/pcre/libpcre.la /usr/local/apache2/lib/
libaprutil-1.la -ldb41 -lexpat /usr/local/apache2/lib/libapr-1.la -
lcrypt -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvcert
*** Error code 1

The name "lvcert" sounds like it has to do with SSL, which is why I
included the output about mod_ssl above.

Should I try a newer version of openSSL, or what?  Can I provide any
other information to help solve this?

Thanks to anyone reading this,
Craig MacKenna
Los Gatos, CA