httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jesse Ross <jr...@broad.mit.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] chunked Transfer-Encoding forbidden
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:00:42 GMT
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a SOAP service, which is running on an internal
machine, to be visible from our main web server.  I've set up a reverse
Proxy as follows on our main web server:

ProxyPass       /obfuscated/url
http://internalhost:6060/obfuscated/url

ProxyPassReverse /obfuscated/url http://internalhost:6060/obfuscated/url

The client POSTs some data when it requests /obfuscated/url, and it uses
chunked encoding to do this.  When it directly accesses the internal
host at http://internalhost:6060/obfuscated/url, it has no problem.
However, when it tries to access the page as proxied through our web
server, it gets an error from our server: 411 Length Required.

Our server's error log shows:

[Tue Jan 30 15:04:54 2007] [error] [client x.x.x.x] chunked
Transfer-Encoding forbidden: /obfuscated/url

But I can't tell where chunked encoding is being forbidden.  I'm pretty
sure it's allowed elsewhere in my site, as the site is quite large and
I've never run into this before.  I tried to fix this by fiddling with
the environment variables which mod_proxy sees, setting

<Location /obfuscated/url>
         SetEnv proxy-sendcl 1
</Location>

(and proxy-sendchunked when that didn't work) but haven't had any luck.
  Can anyone point me towards where to look?  Do I need to make the
client send a content-length header instead of using chunked encoding?
Or can I make our server accept the chunked encoding?

thanks very much for any help,
Jesse Ross
Systems Administrator
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard