httpd-users mailing list archives

From Evan Cooch <evan.co...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2.2.3 -> 2.2.4 upgrade problem | APR?
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:21:40 GMT

>> checking for APR-util... yes
>> configure: error: Cannot use an external APR-util with the bundled APR
>> To check to see if this new problem is caused by some change I've
>> made to the server (unlikely - all this machine does is serve web
>> pages - the only changes I ever make are security patches), I tried
>> re-compiling 2.2.3. No problem - everything worked as before.
>>
>> So, *something* has changed in 2.2.3 -> 2.2.4 that is *broken* on my
>> machine (meaning, I can't even configure 2.2.4). In the config.log, I
>> see the following:
>
> Could you post your ./configure line?

Sure - about as basic as you can get:

./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/apache2

Thats it - I get the same error message whether or not I enable any
modules or not.

> Could you run the commands
>
> locate apr-1-config
/usr/local/apache2/bin/apr-1-config

> locate apu-1-config
>
> and tell us what the output is?
/usr/local/apache2/bin/apu-1-config

> Finally, try adding --with-included-apr to ./configure .  This forces
> the build process to use the apr and apr-util that come with the
> release, which I think is what you want to do.  I think this is
> relatively new logic, and may be what you're running into.

OK - thanks for the suggestion. Tried

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --with-included-apr

which seemed to work (in the sense that I wasn't getting any error
messages). I followed this with make, which seemed to work fine (given
that make seems to run fine - no errors). I'm not quite ready for the
next test (make install), since I don't want to screw up my current,
working configuration. But, the suggestion of adding --with-included-apr
seems to have solved the basic .configure problem. Thanks!

Now, for the big question - what is this new argument doing, why do I
need it, and what really has changed between 2.23 and 2.24?

Thanks very much!