httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Barnett <geo...@alink.co.za>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy maximum connections to a backend
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:18:54 GMT
Hi All,

I've asked this on irc and it was suggested that I try asking the dev
because the docs aren't clear, but I'll ask here aswell.

I'm using apache httpd 2.2.3 with the event MPM to do some traffic
throttling to a backend.  What I have is this:

First, traffic hit a default vhost with lots of rewrite rules such as this:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}    ^/page.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING}   ^.*pattern.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://trafficclass.localhost/$1 [P,L]

In the hosts file, trafficclass.localhost is 127.0.0.1, so from there, the
traffic heads back into a vhost.

Then I have a vhost with the following in it:

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
  DocumentRoot /opt/apache/htdocs
  ServerName trafficclass.localhost
  ProxyRequests off
  ProxyBadHeader Ignore

  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/gold-access.log combined
  Errorlog /var/log/apache2/gold-error.log

  <Location />
   ProxyPass http://1.2.3.4/ max=200 acquire=500
   # IIS Sucks
   SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
   SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1
  </Location>
</Virtualhost>

In my setup I have 100 processes with 64 threads per process.

Last night during exceptional load, I saw over 3200 connections to the
backend.  My question - is it possible that max=200 is a per process and
not server wide limit?

If so, there's a way to set a server wide limit to the backend?

Cheers,

George

--
George Barnett