httpd-users mailing list archives

From Frank Hempel <li...@frankoni.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to compose an URL so that login is done???
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 01:46:23 GMT
Bo Berglund schrieb:
> I want to add a link on my application's help menu where the user's
> default browser will be opened on a customer page on our website.
>
> The website is hosted on a provider running Apache server and I have
> protected the customer pages using the .htpasswd file where user
> logins adn password hashes are stored.
>
> Now I would like our application to be able to launch the browser on
> this webpage with the user/password already inside the URL passed to
> the browser so that the login dialogue does not pop up and the user
> gets immediately to the webpage.
> This way the application will be "logged on" transparently to the
> user.
>
> Is it possible to do this (to compose such an URL text)???
> Maybe something like this but some other syntax:
>  www.mydomain.com/protectedpage.shtml?USER=myuser?PWD=mypwd

What you want is that the request to
www.mydomain.com/protectedpage.shtml has the authentication header set
already.

So write a cgi-script, say
www.mydomain.com/enter_protectedpage.cgi?USER=myuser?PWD=mypwd your
application points to initally. This script redirects to your customers
page for example via a http 302 and sets the authentication header for
that page by the way. And of course it sould validate the
USER/PWD-variables from the request.

cu, frank.