httpd-users mailing list archives

From Emil Edeholt <e...@knmedical.se>
Subject [users@httpd] .htaccess not enabled?
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 23:36:32 GMT
Hi,

I'm new on this list so sorry if I'm OT or something. I'm having trouble
getting .htaccess files to function on my server. I'm trying to require
a password to view a certain directory with this .htaccess file:

AuthUserFile /full/path/to/.htpasswd

AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Password Protected Area"
AuthType Basic

<Files>
require valid-user myuser
</Files>

I've done this before so I'm quite sure it's correct. Does one need to
enable .htaccess files somewhere in the apache conf file? I don't get an
Internal Server Error or something like that, the files just stand
unaffected of the .htaccess and are available to all users as normal. I
searched for .htaccess and found this in the apache2.conf:

AccessFileName .htaccess

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

Should that be enough, or is something else needed for .htaccess?

I reeeeeeally need to password protected these files soon. So quick
answers are really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Best regards Emil