httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Simon Ashford" <Simon.Ashf...@npl.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Removing or overwriting "Server" header field.
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:34:17 GMT

Anyone know if it is possible to remove or completely
overwrite the "Server" HTTP header from Apache?

"ServerTokens" only allows it to be reduced somewhat.

"mod_header" doesn't seem to affect it.

We recently had a security audit done and one of the
points noted was that it was possible to identify the
web server software in use from the "Server" header.
So I would like to remove or completely overwrite
this header with something meaningless.

Simon Ashford.

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only.
If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

NPL Management Ltd cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any
attachments are free from viruses.

NPL Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2937881
Registered Office: Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park,
                   Hook, Hampshire, United Kingdom  RG27 9UY