httpd-users mailing list archives

From Evan Platt <e...@espphotography.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Getting Started
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:21:49 GMT
At 01:10 PM 1/16/2007, you wrote:
>The following is from the Apache install instructions. It must
>therefore be possible to get Apache to listen to port 8080. I did the
>set up as indicated.

Yes, your Apache IS listening on Port 8080. Your question was "is it
possible to configure Apache so that it automatically goes to the
8080 address".

You're asking for two different things.

When you open a web browser, and go to any site, it goes to port 80,
unless you specify otherwise.

Think of it as a CB radio.

If you're on channel 4, and I'm on channel 21, can I go on channel 21
and say "Hey, go to channel 21?" Sure. But will you hear me?

No.

Apache is listening on port 8080 as you have it configured.

So your choice is either keep it as is, and you need to go to
http://localhost:8080 , or modify httpd.conf to Listen 80 instead of
Listen 8080. But this is a Windows box, so you'll need to turn off
IIS or anything else listening on port 80.