httpd-users mailing list archives

From Evan Platt <e...@espphotography.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Getting Started
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:54:27 GMT
At 12:39 PM 1/16/2007, you wrote:

>I am learning to use Macromedia to create webpages and using ColdFusion as a
>server. In a book it is recommended that Apache be used (instead of PWS
>which my OS does not support or IIS which only comes free with XP
>professional!
>
>I have downloaded and tried to set up Apache but when I try
>http://localhost/ it is not found. I have to ass the 8080 to the address
>line to get the message 'It Works'

Sounds like you have in your httpd.conf to use port 8080.

>How can I configure Apache so that it automatically goes to the 8080
>address. It is not my intention, at this time, to use Apache as a server
>online - it is only going to be a local server (on a single computer)

You can't. That's not possible.

Incoming HTTP requests, by default, come on port 80. So nothing on
your computer is listening on port 80. So - nothing can tell that
request to go to apache.

Either manually type localhost:8080, or have Apache listen on port 80.

>Question two - when I hit the menu item 'Edit the Apache httpd configuration
>file I get a windows error message that windows cannot open this file. How
>does one overcome this? BTW I loaded Apache on Drive E

Permissions perhaps?