httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] BerkeleyDB RewriteMap on NFS - problems?
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:10:24 GMT
On 12/19/06, Julian Dunn <Julian_Dunn@cbc.ca> wrote:

> 1) Is it bad to put BDB RewriteMaps on an NFS server? Is anyone else
> doing it without problems?
> 2) Is it true that some versions of BerkeleyDB don't have "read-only"
> semantics, and could this be causing the problem?
> 3) Is the problem here related to incorrect POSIX file-locking
> semantics on the NFS server as some of my colleagues at work have
> implied? This NFS server hardware is fairly recent (purchased within the
> last 3 years) so I'd be very surprised if this were the case.
> 4) Could it be possible that this is just tickling a bug in the Linux
> kernel? We're running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.

I'm not at all an expert in this, but my understanding is that using
berkeley DB over NFS -- even for read-only access -- is asking for
trouble.  Oracle has this to say about it:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/ref/env/remote.html
which seems to suggest that read-only access is possible.  But I'd
think all bets are off if you change the database, even from the local
machine.

Joshua.