httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Swift" <steve.j.sw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Help, Please
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:02:25 GMT
The permissions for apache directories and files depend on how your users
are setup, especially "apache". I only know redhat, where each user is
initially in their own group, so "apache" is in group "apache" and "steve"
is in group "steve".

The approach I took was to chgrp my document root to group apache, then
change the directory permissions to 2775 (the "2" is SGID, which means any
files/directories created below your document root will inherit the "apache"
group.

This way you can chown any subdirectory/files to other individual users and
apache will still be able to get to everything.