httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Setting up user login?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:01:58 GMT

The Basic Authentication mechanism allows you to hide complete
directories behind a password challenge. As it's name implies, it's
rather "basic".

You sound like you want something more sophisticated. To do what you
need you need to serve cookies on login and then use the cookie to
enable access to individual elements of content on subsequent dynamic
pages. All this implies sophisticated server-sided logic that goes way
beyond basic apache config.

Read up on session management, cookies, closed user groups etc. You'll
need technologies like PHP, Cocoon, and so on. BTW, it ain't trivial...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Craig Hagerman

the sender's company.